Saturday 17 October 2015

Part 1 Beauty and the Sublime: Exercise 1.5 Visualising Assignment 6 Transitions

Exercise 1.5 Visualising Assignment 6 Transitions 


The exercise suggest we prepare for Assignment 6 and suggests the idea of returning to one location or to a particular view to document how it or a small part of it undergoes change.

My initial thoughts, especially given that was to image the Wye Valley as it undergoes change throughout the seasons of a year. Frank Newbould's work features in the course notes and in particular some of his work for the Great Western Railway where he produced a series of transport travel posters. In particular the course notes demonstrates one of his posters taken of the The Wye Valley.

I live reasonably close to Symonds Yat Rock and would like to image image the Wye Valley as taken by Frank Newbould to suggest how little the landscape has changed since 1946 where he created his poster image to 2015/16 some 70 years later where I believe the landscape has change little but demonstrating its seasonal change I could demonstrate that it changes more in a single year than it has across 70 years.

An exchange of emails with my tutor suggests I may not be pushing the boundaries sufficiently here e.g. meeting the assignment or developing the assignment. One of the comments my tutor made:

"What's going to make your work stand out is if you can take a brief that can be answered to a minimum in very conventional way and make it into something that's about the idea of transition which transcends the expected."

This certainly provides a big challenge but in the same way sets the tone for how I should approach my assignments, and perhaps work in my practise as a whole.

So, my back-up plan to assignment 6 will be my original approach as detailed above as I do want to learn how to develop myself, think more conceptually and excel in my response to the assignment.

I still need more thoughts for my Plan A :D


No comments:

Post a Comment