Tuesday 29 March 2016

Part 2 Psychogeography and ‘Edgelands’ - Exercise 2.6: ‘Edgelands’

Part 2 Psychogeography and ‘Edgelands’ - Exercise 2.6: ‘Edgelands’


We are asked to read ‘Wire’ and ‘Power’ from Edgelands and to record our responses in our learning log. 

Edgelands is considered the area between the city and the countryside, I suppose the grey between the black and white. I grew up in the country side and as a child used to roam for miles in the woods and hills. The nearest city at the time was Guildford which is now much changed. I can recall cycling into work and noticing how the change occurs between small villages in the country and the city build-up.

I now live in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire and again enjoying the hills, woods with journeys of 30-45 minutes to find the nearest cities.

The text In general I find tquite entertaining and feel the enthusiasm from the writers. This makes a refreshing change and the content and its understanding is much better for it.

Interesting that there is mention of the power station at Didcot. I also mentioned this in my earlier exercise travelling past it twice a week. Of course its now the subject to a collapse with the tragic loss of life.

I wonder if my understanding of edgelands differs from the authors, its all a matter of perspective. They appear to discuss them as the areas just outside where they might live, necessarily close by but far away enough, in respect of the power stations, to not participate within city life. My perspective is different, on my journey it tells me I am nearing the big cities, Reading, London. Living in the country it suggests a nearing toward the city, not the borders of the escape from one as you might pass through.

Whilst not as tall we do see the growth edgeland shopping malls. Cribbs Causeway, Bristol resides in the edgeland area. It has been so popular for so long yet it self in such a short time finds itself usurped by inner reconstruction. A journey to DeMontfort University In Leicester shows the inner-city redevelopment of buildings, particularly student accommodation. Suddenly education of future generations has become a cash cow for others. However we also find edgeland Universities, inner cities to congested perhaps.

The edgelands for me where I live and much blurred but I can find examples travelling short distances and wonder where is the best location to live. Whatever the choice the edegelands are to be navigated on the journey in or out from both perspectives.

I attach a link to a review by the Guardian of the book and I love the quote it makes in references to some of the people spoken to by Farley and Roberts as "A few individuals stumble past in the distance, like extras from The Road". Indeed this has been a favourite film of mine and one I discussed in an earlier exercise. The film also influences me for Assignment 2

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/feb/19/edgelands-farley-symmons-roberts-review



No comments:

Post a Comment