Saturday 7 January 2017

Robert Adams - Beauty in Photography - Essays in Defense of Traditional Values

The book is described by Amazon as "The eight essays in "Beauty in Photography" provide a critical appreciation of photography by one of its foremost proponents. The result is a rare book of criticism, alive to the pleasure and mysteries of true exploration."

Its a smallish book by traditional standards but I found it quite powerful.  It contains 8 essays and Adams in his preface written in 1996 confirms that elements of the book were written or at least started 25 years ago. Its therefore not a modern book but much of what it holds at says is as valid now as it was then i feel

Its very thought provoking book and to be honest at a time when I am struggling to move my work to the next level its actually a little inspirational and contains small little quote gems.

I will review individually the first 5 essays as grouped in his book.

Truth and Landscape
Adams speaks about Landscape photography always being subjective and interpreted by the photographer and therefore the final image telling much about the photographer them self as well as the landscape depicted in the image

"Making photographs has to be, then, a personal matter; when it is not, the results are not persuasive".

"It is the fitness of a landscape to one's experience of life's condition and possibilities that finally makes a scene important or not.

In summary the landscape photograph is better for the viewer if it contains an element of some kind, perhaps an emotion, as opposed to perhaps emotionless reportage style of landscape photography e.g. an image that engages the viewer

Beauty in Photography
"Art simplifies". I think in my better work the simple images are often the better ones and I think it would be good for me to reconsider this quote and use it to guide some of my future work

Adams details that every photograph must have beauty in it for it be worthwhile, though he doesn't use beauty in the literal term. Personally I prefer the term "Punctum" as used by Roland Barthes in Camera Lucida, in that an image should have some narrative or ability to generate an emotion within the viewer. I personally find neither in Mu Ch'i's drawing of the six persimmons, yet it is a simple drawing and that in itself can cause the viewer to wonder

Adams states that equates form with beauty and this is true but I feel there is much more.

I enjoyed the quote from Roethke "I wish I could find an event that meant as much as simple seeing". Of course we all see things differently with different outlooks and life stories. He also is quoted to say "Beauty is the universal seen" but I think its much more than that. It can be the unseen also, perhaps because of location, perspective or as result of "turning a blind eye".

Civilizing Criticism
An interesting quote from Adams "..it is harder in photography than in painting to establish a recognizable style". My view has been the harder you try to create a personal style then likely the further you will progress away. The should be a naturalness about one's work and it most likely needs to come from within; it will no doubt evolve and it will progressive and experimental. At least thats how I'd like to think is how I will develop my own voice.

Adams describes some "wrong headed bases" for judgment. reason and "..we do not need to fear bad work as much as we had thought." Adams alludes to that it is only the artist who would know to what degree he/she achieved their intent. This certainly rings true for me as I have been struggling of late to reach my intention I think the idea and creativity of thought and intent will continue and I hope to narrow this current gap (or chasm :D)

Art of course is subjective and the critics themselves may look for different elements within an image. Sometimes one's work could be associated with past and current genre's but I also believe that each new genre is created by an artist or artists. Art is progressive.

Photographing Evil
Adams discusses the reasons for seeking to photograph a monument at a mine in Ludlow, scene to a killing of miners and their families by the Colorado militia.

Interestingly though he states he goes with the intent of taking images of the monument this is not what drives him, it his his social responsibility and this act awakens him to responsibilities he feels he has not fulfilled.

Reportage photography has always been a way of revealing the truth which may be to far away from us to see or perhaps putting in front of us what to know we have refused to look at. Whilst photographing evil for a future assignment is not my intent, I do wish to capture within a set of images man's influence on the landscape and let the viewer examine what kind of impact this has or had.

Adams does tend to drift from the title of his essay but I did like his examination of Lewis Hine and Hine's intention to ""....show...what was bad so we would oppose it and what was good so we would value it."

Making Art New
Adams says "..we respond best to affirmations that are achieved within the details of life today..". I suppose the current is always the most important but reflection on the past has the possibility of change in the future. I think this applies to photography and just about everything in life, you can quote me on this.

He also says that the "classic proof of work of art is major - that it outlasts its own age - .."
To a degree this can be true. However the artist trying to influence, it would be disappointing to not see this happening for one's work.

Adams quotes painter Mark Tobey "no young artist can grow unless he emulates someone bigger than himself". I'm not sure I agree with this, to emulate or to be influenced by, I prefer the latter as it suggests the work remains personal to the artist. To be able to position one's work can be important but should you produce work to fit in, or produce work because it comes from within?

Adams speaks about contempory art e.g. art within our lifetime and my lifetime will differ from Adams and many other people's no doubt. Should current art be new, should we feel safe in adhering to old principles and styles or should through our own experimentation generate new work?

I like Hyatt Mayor's quote "The really original artist does not try to fin a substitute for boy meets girl, but creates the illusion that no boy ever met a girl", This resonated with me and I think to the title of this essay.

Summary
I particularly enjoyed reading these essays from Robert Adams; they are small, bite size and with much to reflect on. Though perhaps dated they hold true still today and lives up to the billing from Amazon that I quoted at the start. I think this book alone will progress me much more than most books I have read to date







No comments:

Post a Comment