Saturday 26 September 2015

Finding Your Inner Creative Soul as a Photographer

Finding Your Inner Creative Soul as a Photographer

I've remained part of the OCA Level group, a closed group, on Facebook as the sharing and interaction with fellow students is amazing and I think the most interactive photography group.

Marius Vleth, a world travelling street photographer writes a really interesting article and what makes this so good is that he relates to the unbounded imagination and creative abilities of a child and how this can be lost as we grow up and take-on responsibilities


Its a very interesting article as Marius shares his struggles with losing his creative soul and how rediscovers it - well I think the reality is that he learnt where to look for it.

This article really resonated with me as it simplified the term "developing your personal which is one of the development opportunities within the OCA Photographic degree.

I've copied an extract of this below:

How about your inner child? Have you just started exploring your creative soul, or is it already where you want it to be? Have you found the right medium, tools and schedule to express your muse? Do you think you could describe your inner creative soul?
The healthiest way to meet your inner creative soul is expressing it in a way that it’s rooted in your personality and lifestyle. If you are a happy, colourful person on the inside, let those colors shine in the world through your art. Maybe you consider yourself a broken soul with a dark past. Even if it makes you sad, embrace your past and express it in ways that fulfil yourself and help others. That way even the dark days will have a dancing child in them.
Is your creative soul strongly tied to your rational mind that loves to keep itself busy with numbers and algorithms? Then let that inner structure and order of yours flow into your photography. It may take a while to reunite your inner child with that grown up, tax-paying citizen, but it works. It’s still there and it wants to break free!"
This extract with some words from a recent email exchange with more tutor, which I will share as part of a future exercise in Landscape Part 1,I believe has reinforced what is an inner personal voice. Its not something that I need to invent or create, its something thats inside of me that I need to rediscover and allow it to help direct my image making or perhaps I should name my image creating.

Slowly I think this understanding is beginning to resonate with me. Its this expression and articulation of my inner self and inner creative is what I need to begin express.

The following image is from Marius Vieth's Flickr site called "The Stranger". I found this image absolutely fascinating. The photographer is outside and has a small window into what is happening inside. Within this window you are enabled a connection with lady who is conversation with the shadowy figure.



More of his work can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/badabiing/12860054235/in/photostream/

He has a very distinctive style and this type of work resonates with me, very gritty and observational, almost preying or hunting for specific situations with a camera. I find his imagery very simple in composition yet also so complex. Very inspirational and I woiuld like to discover more about Vleth.

I've detailed below a few other images from his Flickr site to remind me of inner creativity from his set of 365:

Strangers on a Train


The Deal


Missing





No comments:

Post a Comment