Monday 14 September 2015

How to get your work noticed ?

How to get your work noticed ?

I think this is a question asked by by both amateur and professional photographer perhaps for completely different or similar reasons.What could be the reasons for wanting your work to get noticed? My immediate thoughts are:
  • Financial gain: commissions, sales, long term income, career
  • Recognition: style, personality, voice that is recognisable within the images produced
  • Critical acclaim: images that are different to the norm, pushing the boundaries of the genre, creating new genres, fusion of genres
  • Publication: Galleries, social media, websites, high profile competitions


How do my thoughts compare with what the internet may suggest:Expert Photography website suggests the following:



  • Be Good at Photography
  • Create Something Unique
  • Run a Photography Blog
  • Enter Photography Contests
  • Get Your Photos Published
  • Photography Forums
  • Social Networks
  • Photo Sharing Networks
  • Reddit
  • Photography Galleries

It’s interesting that I didn't mention the first and most obvious perhaps. Of course having a watermark on images published on the internet that could potential refer someone to your website can be a method for letting the viewer see more of your work.I read in my introductory course notes for my new module Landscape that Eugène Atget (1857–1927) produced many 1,000's of images detailing street life and architecture of Paris. Unfortunately for Atget he did not perhaps get the recognition he deserved and not fulfilling perhaps his true placement among his 19th century peers.One of the reasons for this appears to be the he did not select and present his best images from what he produced. The result I believe is that his work appeared diluted. I’ve demonstrated a few of Atget's images below for no other reason than to give me a remembral (is that a word from Harry Potter?) of early photography and in particular Atget and his failed recognition, least not the full amount he deserved. In addition it serves to demonstrate what I thik is early documentary work in photography




I'd like to think that, since I first started in photography, and certainly since my starting and current position in relation to my photography degree modules, my work has improved as I continue my learning journey so that means work is changing and will continue to do so.So how can I relate Atget to my own practise and how can this help me get my work noticed? Well I'm clearly not as deserving as Atget in getting recognition or even being deserving of it but I believe I can learn a lesson. If I do manage to get people referenced back to my website and can take advantage of some of the top 10 suggestions above then I should ensure that I only publish the best of my images and I should update these as I believe the quality of my images improves and my voice begins to be displayed in my images.This means I need to start pruning images in my website and keeping it updated with my better images as these get produced.Here is my website, below. Whilst at this point its OK, it needs a more professional approach look with a selective display of my best images, less is more as they say. I will need to do some further research as I suspect consistency in the size and aspect ratio of my images is required.

http://www.warrenjonesphotography.com/

I hope to update and improve my website, let me know what you think when yoiu come across this post, critique will help me improve it

No comments:

Post a Comment